Saturday, April 04, 2009

"You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger."

I found the most wonderful level while pulling down the drywall at the house on 3860 West 3rd. At first I had found a bunch of business cards on the cross-joist. They were from the 1930's, at least. They were yellowed and the addresses were now surely condos. A dentist, a paper manufacturer, a lawyer and a dry-goods salesman. None of those places existed anymore but I had extracted them from time and they once again displayed themselves. I almost called one, but I knew what would happen and I kept my phone in my pocket instead.

The level, though, was pristine. It was a short level, cute even, and had three angles with which to measure. It looked like a level that a handy-man from the 1950's would use; not professional but not altogether useless either.

The house on West 3rd was old and I knew it when I began taking it down. I thought I would find some money or a body in those walls when they came down. I expected it. The level was the best because it meant so much to me. I am not a level man and to get a message like that from beyond time and space was magic and even frightening.

The leveler of lives from inner space.

I own it now and am waiting to be straightened.

-Love Sid

No comments: