Thursday, August 11, 2005

MANTIS FIST

Man, I've always thought the praying mantis style of kung fu looked pretty cool, and it usually kicks a lot of ass in the movies, I guess unless some novelty villain comes at our hero all spazz style. That's what I'm calling it from now on when a minor heavy in a kung fu film comes on all exaggerated and dramatic with a novelty style: Spazz Fist. They always get their showy ass handed to them. Sometimes they writhe on the ground after they're beaten, still "in character"... this mostly happens with monkey dudes.

Anyway, now I know what Wong Long saw in the praying mantis when he came up with the idea for Mantis Fist. Holee shit. I caught that link off BoingBoing, so if it's crammed, that's why. (SPOILER ALERT: it's a praying mantis impaling a hummingbird on the wing and having a snack.)

Related: Mantis! MANTIS!

No comments: